Monday, June 4, 2007

My Garden





I wanted to show you what I've grown so far. I wish you lived closer so that I could give you some of the leafy greens that we have. Click on each picture to see the notes I've written.

Here's what you'll see in the photos. Broccoli, Swiss Chard, Red Leaf Lettuce, Carrot Tops, Beet Greens, Pepper Plants, Tomato Plants, Spinach, and Basil.

In all I have about 16 lettuce plants, lots of beet greens, lots of spinach, not sure how many carrots, 6 Roma plants, 6 pepper plants (only 4 are doing well), 3 different varieties of basil, 1 rosemary plant, 3 broccoli plants (only 1 is producing), and 15 Swiss chard plants.
One of the pictures is of a very pathetic looking pepper plant, swiss chard plant, and broccoli plant. The truth is they were thriving, but Kitty decided she loved the way it felt to rip into the leaves. Anyway, this isn't the first time she's ripped the leaves off those plants, and they've come back strong each time she does it; maybe she knows something I don't. You'll notice that the broccoli is planted too close to the peppers, and that's because I didn't think it'd come back to life after Kitty destroyed it the first time. Now I'm torn because I don't want to rip it out of the ground so that my peppers can grow, but I want my peppers to grow. I may risk transplanting the peppers, especially since they don't look they're going to make it after what Kitty did.

We're also trying to grow pole beans and melons, so we'll send photos when we get them to come up.

Finally, I cooked the beet greens, swiss chard, and spinach into a side dish for Sunday dinner, and it was gross-too slimy and mushy. I'll stick to eating the spinach and swiss chard raw, and cook the beet greens in a lot of butter for Ryan.

1 comment:

Millie said...

Well you're doing a whole lot better then my veggies! I did get to pick one lone tomato today but the rest of the veggies are just stagnant. So keep up the good work!